One Ringing Bell

In 1998, I felt God calling me to press into writing in a way I’d never done before. Since a child, I’d filled journals with reflections, and penned dozens and dozens of songs. However, I sensed something different on the horizon. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I wondered how those things God had spoken to my heart would happen. A cancer diagnosis threatens to arrest your dreams. Yet, God has truly done exceedingly and abundantly above all I could ask or think. The way I started this blog is but one example.

God has often spoken to me through dreams. Back in the spring of this year, I had what seemed to be a “defining moment” dream. Our family faced many challenges at the time, and in the dream, I was awaking on a hard surface—like the hardness of my life then. Beside me was a bell, and as I looked it, a realization dawned on me in the dream which seemed like the most wonderful news I’d ever heard. “I’m the bell ringer,” I said. I grabbed the bell, and began to ring it with great joy. As I did, many people gathered to worship God. There’s more, but you get the picture.

When I awoke, I realized I didn’t know a lot about bells, so I did some research. The scripture at the bottom of this template from Exodus 28:33-35 says, “…gold bells and the pomegranates are to alternate around the hem of the robe...” This refers to the bells around the hem of the Priest’s robe in the temple. According to many sources, those bells are meant to symbolize the going forth of the word of God. From this, I felt a new encouragement to “ring out” God’s truth whenever and wherever I could. That dream and the scripture about the bells was the impetus to start this blog, and has recently provided confirmation for other writing endeavors.

My heart and mind are now sensitized to all things “bell.” A couple of days ago Mary Demuth, a gifted author who often speaks to my heart, posted an article on her blog about being a “Cow Bell” Christian where she offered insight on yet another dimension of bells. She writes, “Farmers are selective about which cows they adorn with a bell. They choose the smartest, wisest cow because they know that cow will keep the other ones safe. Find the jingling cow; find the herd under her care. Could it be that God does the same with us? That He places cowbells around the necks of those who are smart in the Spirit, who exercise wisdom?”

She concludes by saying, “Are you ready for the cowbell? To be entrusted with the responsibilities it represents?”

The answer for me is simply I sure want to be ready for anything that God has for me. I don’t want to waste these precious days God has given me beyond my cancer diagnosis. I want to be faithful to be the “bell ringer” for Him.

Interestingly, in the short time since I started “One Ringing Bell” I’ve had visitors from about a dozen countries around the world. What a joy it is to ring out for God.

Please check out Mary’s blog here http://www.marydemuth.com/2008/01/cowbell-christian-2/