Rejoicing in the Day

A Bible study with new friends started my day, and then I attended a Lawn Concert on the UGA campus by the UGA Wind Ensemble. (Can’t miss anything my nephew is performing in!) An October sun bathed us in warm rays as we listened to a symphony of favorite music. This side of heaven, it was a pretty fabulous day.

A day like today is so easy to rejoice in; it’s the days I’m not basking in the light that make it a little harder to embrace Psalm 118:24, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Those are the days I must choose to rejoice--when circumstances threaten to take me in another direction.

How do we do that? Some of what I know about this, I learned when I had cancer.

First, focus on the truth of God rather than the problems. Sometimes, I have to write a verse down and put it where I can see it all day, so that it may saturate my mind and spirit.

I’ve also found it important as much as possible to surround myself with uplifting media. Watching a news cycle of grim headlines can take us down a bad path which only adds to any other difficult circumstances with which we may be dealing. I usually get the news from print media, because it provides the information without so much sensationalism.

I’ve also found when I’ve taken time to notice some of the small but beautiful gifts God has given me, that my gratitude level increases--things like the first red leaves on the maple tree, the puppy’s adoring eyes, or especially an embrace from my husband.

Those are just a few things that help me. There are more, but right now, I’m going to squeeze the last glory from this wonderful day by walking the dog. I’m remembering an old hymn:

For the beauty of the earth, for the glory of the skies,
For the love which from our birth over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to Thee we raise this our hymn of grateful praise.

Grateful praise, indeed.