Gideon Iraq

Rodney Marett, along with his wife Lori, founded the Gideon Media Arts Conference and Film Festival In 2008. Since then, God has done amazing things through the connections made at these conferences. The Maretts have been such a blessing to me, because it was through an appointment I had with Dave Moody last year at the Gideon that my screenplay for Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees was optioned.

Rodney recently took a job as a contract medic in Iraq, even though it meant leaving his family for a season. He and Lori both believed God leading them in this direction, and just after he arrived, he attended a church service.

In Rodney’s words, “the chaplain talked about how Christ has never quit and that He never quits on us. So, I went back to my room and was really thinking of the message…

Lori and I had always talked about that God was going to use me in some way while I was working here. So, later that night, I got the idea of doing a faith based movie night, talked to Lori, to see what she thought, and then I emailed the chaplains and they loved the idea. Told all our film friends on Face book and then I pretty much got out of the way and let God handle the rest. We opened up this past Friday night …

It’s been a real blessing to me and I'm really excited about what God is doing here with the military.”

That‘s how the Gideon in Iraq was launched. He now holds weekly faith based film nights, which contract workers, and military personnel including officers attend. Due to his connections in the Christian film industry, Rodney has been able to secure films such as Jericho, No Greater Love, The Cross and the Towers, and Saving God. Tonight he’s showing Lost Boy, the story of mega-church pastor Greg Laurie.

Remarkable. In fact, every time I think about what God is doing through Rodney, I get a little teary eyed. It’s such a marvelous example of God at work using Rodney through this assignment to “…go and make disciples of all nations…” (Matthew 28:19).

It also reflects how God uses us in whatever circumstances we may find ourselves, and might perhaps move us to ask, “How am I allowing God to use me in my current situation?”

Something to think about.

If you're interested in film production or screenwriting from a Christian world view, please check out the Gideon Film Festival which is being held August 6-11.