And the "Spirit of Aunt Laney Award" goes to...

Pam at Mockingbird in Valdosta received a call prior to the signing last week from a woman about thirty miles away who’d read Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees because of a review in the newspaper. She hoped to make it to the signing but had just broken her femur. 


Sure enough, Betsy Kimbrough arrived the next day moving slowly. However, her spirit was anything but slow.


“Those people are like my family,” she announced as she came in the door referring to the characters in Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees. 

They’re like my family too, so we immediately hit it off. She told me what she liked about the novel and recommended a book or two for me to read. 



Frankly, I could have talked with her all day, and maybe someday I will. Her caregiver said she had recently been in the hospital with a serious illness but no one would have known. 


If I had a “Spirit of Aunt Laney Award,” I would have given it to Betsy Kimbrough last Friday. Betsy exemplifies everything Aunt Laney is about with her encouraging words, her bright spirit, and her refusal to let the difficulties in life weigh her down. 


Aunt Laney would have loved her as much as I do.


“Therefore encourage one another, and build each other up…” (I Thessalonians 5:11).