If you’re wanting to set the table


So many lovely ways to do it…
 
 
 
 
 
 

I’m always amazed at these church luncheons where women use their own china and linens to create table settings. As I snapped pictures, I mused on the uniqueness of each table--how much each reflected the taste of the precious ones who fashioned them.

In fact, I thought I might be able to match the tables to their creators without even being told, because the colors, themes, and styles seemed to speak the names of women who were more unique and full of beauty than each of these settings were.

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10).

In a greater way, we are God’s creation, and God desires that we reflect him. He longs for the work, themes and hues of our lives to point to His love.

I think of a verse from an old hymn:
E’er since, by faith, I saw the stream
 Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme,
And shall be till I die.

You see, every day, we’re setting the table for those around us. We’re called to prepare a place of beauty so others may pull up a chair and feast on the redeeming love of God.

There’ve been days, even years in my life when no one would want to sit at the table I’ve set. It’d be comparable to casting out paper plates and grabbing a few paper towels for napkins. Not too appealing. Instead of “shabby chic,” the theme might be “just plain shabby.”

If redeeming love is our theme, then the winsomeness of that love should be evident in all we do.

If you want to set the table for others, but find yourself struggling, perhaps you need to sit at His table yourself.

“He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love” (Song of Solomon 2:4).

In order to pour out, we must first sit at His table, receive from Him, and live with the love banner over our own lives.

Yes, if you want to set the table...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Before you pick the linens, or china, or the silver, above everything else you might choose for your place settings--
Set it with God's love.