Debuting a new blog soon, One Old Dawg

Well, I’m back. Many thanks to wonderful guest bloggers, Julie Garmon, Colleen Jackson, and Beth Andrews for their contributions this month. Their posts allowed me a bit of a reprieve after four years of blogging.

But now, we have new things stirring here at One Ringing Bell. For many years, I’ve listened to the stories my husband, Jerry Varnado, tells of his days as a University of Georgia Football player on the first three teams of legendary coach, Vince Dooley—the coach who took a mediocre program to an SEC championship and a nationally ranked team within three years. I’ve often thought somebody should get these stories down before they’re lost. 2014 is the fiftieth anniversary of that first team Vince Dooley coached, and well, it looks like I’m going to be the one to pen these tales.

On August 13, we debut a new blog, One Old Dawg, mostly true Bulldog lore.



One Old Dawg will run on Wednesday’s through football season. The site is already up with preliminary information just waiting for that first post on August 13. I’ve even obtained permission to use some vintage photos on the site. This is not a sports documentary, but rather a personal memoir.

If you’re a UGA football fan, or even if you’re not, I think you’ll find encouragement in these tales of an Old Dawg.

As I’ve interviewed my husband and read about a hundred newspaper accounts, I’ve marveled at what God did to get Jerry to that 1964 year. At many points in his life, beginning with his first year in high school, his football career could have ended. However, God wanted him to have that platform, so he gave Jerry the ability to persevere past what others would have considered insurmountable odds. That platform of being an ex-college football player has opened doors for Jerry to give his testimony and preach all across this country.

I’ve been reminded through writing these posts that God’s plan is always bigger than anything we can imagine. We only see the present moment, but God sees the whole picture. We should never underestimate what God might do. A wise tentmaker said it best, “God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us” (Ephesians 3:20 The Message).

So, I’ll still be here at One Ringing Bell a couple of times a week with peals of words on faith, living and writing, but I’ll also be writing One Old Dawg, mostly true Bulldog lore. It looks like it’s going to be an extra busy fall.

Julie, Colleen, and Beth, I’m keeping you on speed dial.

Check out One Old Dawg here and please sign up to follow by email.


If you're looking for summer reading, my most recent book, Home to Currahee is available at:
Amazon Barnes and Noble Booksamillion Parable Also, if you haven't read Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees, it's a perfect book for vacation.