After the butterflies have flown


The butterflies are gone now, but this one with pollen dusted wings posed for me just before his exit. I’m no expert, but I believe it’s a Red Spotted Purple.

 

When the butterflies have flown, the garden sleepsthe four o’clocks die back, the roses close up shop.

 
Flowers drop their seeds, which lie dormant until temperatures and rain bring them to life in the spring.

That Red Spotted Purple will spend the winter as a larva and emerge again when temperatures warm.


My Japanese Magnolia like many flowering trees has already set its buds and will be the first tree to flower next February or March right along with the daffodils.

So when the butterflies have flown, the promise remains. When fall sets in for good, and winter looms ahead, it’s good to remember spring will once more roll around and all that’s happening now is setting the stage for what will happen.

In our lives, when all the bright colors seem to have disappeared, God’s promises remain to keep up our hope.

A few to ponder:

“Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken . . . “ (Psalm 125:1)

“The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.”  (Proverbs 18:10).

“The Lord is my light and my salvationwhom shall I fear?” (Psalm 27:1).

“He has sent me . . . to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.” (Isaiah 61:1,3).

“We have this hope as an anchor for our soul, firm and secure.” (Hebrews 6:18).

“For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:17-18).

When John Newton wrote Amazing Grace, he included a line, “His word my hope secures.” That line comes from Psalm 130, “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.” Newton knew the power of God’s promises.

If the butterflies seem to have gone for you, make your own list of promises. I chose the ones above from many promises underlined in my Bible and if I had to choose my top ten, there would be way more than ten in that list.

Again, I use one of my favorite quotes from Priscilla Shirer, “God is at work right now doing something for you that you cannot do for yourself.”

Keep up your hope, friend, even when you can't see.


So grateful for all God is doing with Faith in the Fashion District--how one woman's life on Seventh Avenue launched a lifetime in ministry. If you don't have a copy  or need one for a gift, HERE. 


The Key to Everything has just released as an ebook. Available HERE.
A key can open more than a door. 

A story of forgiveness.