Transitions

6-18-10
Transitions
A nice way of saying my whole life has been turned upside down. After struggling with the html, I’ve decided to leave the off-center heading on my blog. It serves as a clue. I’m feeling a little off center myself with a child graduating, a husband leaving a pastoral appointment after twenty-five years, and other life changes.

It’s as if I’ve been shot out of a cannon while simultaneously struggling to write, care for my family, and fulfill other obligations. Someone recently prayed our family would find a wonderful landing place. That’s my prayer as well, and that when all the pieces fall to the ground, we would see God’s hand in the midst of them.

All of this has made me focus once more on what doesn’t change. Years ago, faced with another transition, a very wise man directed me to these words from Hebrews 13, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” What a balm to my soul when it seems I’m living in a blender. After a little investigation, I find the Hebrew word translated as “same,” actually means wall. As in straight up, strong, not leaning. Jesus is a wall, yesterday, and today, and forever. A wall of protection, safety, faithfulness, mercy, hope, and love. More than can be told, at least here by this writer. I thank God for his unchanging love for me.