Aprons, Recipes, and Simple Things

Here I am pretending to stir a pot in a lovely Breast Cancer Awareness pink apron given to me by a dear friend and reader. The picture doesn’t really do justice to the hand sewn artistry in the Bib & Tucker garment. I love it. It’ll certainly give me something to look forward to in the kitchen.

When I’m in the kitchen, we often have the opportunity to find out if the batteries in the smoke alarms are still working. I’ve somehow managed to keep my family alive for all these years, but we’ve had some close calls. I guess I use all my creative energy in other endeavors, or maybe food just doesn’t seem that important to me, but I’m not much of a cook. I have figured out, though, that if I have a few items that I do really well, I can keep at least the illusion of being able to find my way around in the kitchen.

Take biscuits for example. Now, I can make biscuits. And stand back for my iron skillet baked cornbread. Everyone loves my carrot cake, and I actually came up with my own recipe for a low fat oatmeal raisin cookie that doesn’t stay around very long.

Many years ago, when I first moved to this town, I became fast friends with a young mother, Sandy. She was going through some difficult times, and I was struggling to adjust in a new place. We’d sit on the church steps following choir practice, and long after everyone else went home, we’d be talking, and sharing life.

A short time later, all the women in Sandy's circle were assigned a secret pal. I wasn’t in a circle at the time, so when her pal started sending her things like candles, cute kitchen towels, and to my dismay, something with which I’d never be able to compete—recipes, I was jealous.

But, I decided to fight fire with fire. I rifled through my large assortment of like-new cookbooks and sent her one of my tried and true favorites:

Peanut Butter Crackers
4 or 8 Saltines
Some Peanut Butter (Can’t say how much, depends on your taste)
Crunchy or Smooth
Scoop peanut butter out of jar with knife and lavish on saltine. Repeat four times. If you like cracker sandwiches, add another cracker. Enjoy.
Serves 1

Sandy loved the recipe, and declared she’s used it innumerable times. So, there, secret pal.

It’s true that the simplest things in life are often the best. Take for example the truth of the gospel: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 God so loved…that he gave…only Son…whoever believes…shall not perish…eternal life. So simple, and yet it takes a leap of faith.

If you’ve not believed this simple message of God’s great love, today’s a good day to take that leap. Let me know if you do.

I’ll be so happy for you; I might put on my new apron and make you some biscuits.

P.S. Feel free to share the Peanut Butter Cracker recipe. I’ve never been stingy with how to formulate my culinary masterpieces.