Cartwheels and Dark Places

It is you who light my lamp; the Lord, my God, lights up my darkness. Psalm l8:28

In the fall of 2006, I faced my fifth breast surgery. I had to have yet another sonogram, and the technician left the room to confer with the doctor about a problem for what turned out to be a lengthy period. The room was left dark as it had been for the test, and as a cancer survivor traveling down an all too familiar path once more, I felt alone in that dark place. Fear began to creep into my heart.

As I lay on the examination table, I became aware of a flashing light. I sat up to see a computer with a slide show of what appeared to be fund raising events for the newly opened medical center where I was having the test. I thought if I watched, it might take my mind off what the technician and doctor were talking about in the next room. Thinking I might see someone I knew, I scanned picture after picture, yet none of them revealed recognizable faces.

Then just as I was about to lie down again, a photo appeared of a group of young gymnasts who participated in an event called “Cartwheels for a Cure” at a local gym.. There in that dark room, shining on me from the computer screen was my own smiling daughter who’d participated in the event by taking donations for the many, many cartwheels she turned.

She could’ve never known what comfort her cartwheels would bring me months later. God reminded me through my daughter’s bright face that I was not alone, and that God is faithful to light up our darkness.

Dear God, thank you for the assurance of your presence in dark places.