Flying, Faith, and a Funny Story

This morning in a local nursing home, just before I launched into a rousing chorus of “I’ll Fly Away” on the piano, I looked up and saw my husband, Jerry, walk in. He’d never joined me when I volunteered there, and it surprised me to see him. He’d just dropped by after leading a Bible Study at the local YMCA.

When my eyes met his, I felt the same thing I’d felt many times before like when I arrive at the top of that extra long Atlanta Airport elevator which emerges from the subterranean depths into the baggage claim area. Often, in line with all the sign holders, he’ll be waiting patiently for my arrival. There’s nothing like having him watching for me after having been gone an extended time, or even a short time. This morning when I looked up, even after all these years of being together, my heart leapt to see his face.

The song I played this morning refers to a day when my spirit will jettison out of Newtonian gravity. If seeing my husband’s face makes my heart leap, oh what incredible joy to see the face of Jesus when I arrive at the top of the escalator in heaven.

Until then, I’m thanking God for my precious companion. I believe one of our purposes in being together is that we “…be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” Romans 1:12 I can’t even say how often when my faith is weak, my spirit sagging, he’s come alongside to encourage. I hope he can say the same of me. I don’t know if I would have ever made it through so many health issues as I have without him.

Truly, he is a gift.

So, all this is a preface to my funniest story that has to do with breast cancer, and Jerry is at the middle of it. I share it tomorrow.

As my grandmother used to say, "Y’all come."