More Than All We Ask

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20

Just a few days after my surgery for breast cancer in 2000, our family received a postcard from an acquaintance who is a businessperson in town. The personal inscription on the card read: “So many people are praying for Beverly’s complete return to health, that I’m sure God will bless your family in so many ways.”

I received a boxful of beautiful and thoughtful cards during that time, but this one from a woman I barely knew really captured my attention. I went back to it many times. I suppose the reason was the sender helped me see a bigger picture than just my health concerns.

Even now, I love to think on the truth of that card. I believe what she meant was that all those prayers would be used for more than just my physical healing--because of the prayers there were other blessings in store for us as a family. I hadn’t thought of that much before. I’m not often aware that when I ask God to heal someone, he might also choose to give him or her a better job, or help them forgive someone, or lift them out of discouragement. It is in his Word however, that he is able to do more than we ask or imagine, not only more, but immeasurably more. The expectation of God’s provision in those verses is so encouraging.

That one small card changed the way I thought about prayer. Now, because of it, my desire is that God would always use my prayers for immeasurably more than just for what I ask.