Standing on the Promises

Last summer we put hardwood floors in much of the downstairs in our house. In the days before the installers came, the furniture was taken out and baseboards removed. As I stood in the empty space the evening before installation began, I knew there was one more thing I wanted to do.


I sat on the floor with my Bible and found some well-worn pages. I thought I’d copy just a few verses on the old linoleum and particleboard, but wound up staying late into the night. There were just so many promises that had been important to me-- verses God had given me when I had cancer, when my mother was dying, and when my children were babies. Scripture rolled across my memory from thirty years of walking with the Lord. I just didn’t know where to stop. The rest of the family added verses the next morning, too. When the workers came, hardly a square yard of floor space remained blank.

It’s a comforting thought to know that when I’m loading the dishwasher, chopping onions, eating with my family, playing the piano, or just spending time with the Lord, I’m literally standing on the promises of God’s word. The pictures here are just a partial view of the scripture underneath the hardwoods now.

In Deuteronomy 11:20, Moses tells the Israelites to write God’s words “…on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates…”

So, I may be moving on from the floors to the doors, too. I think I need to buy more markers though. As I remember, the reason I finally went to bed that night last year is I used up my permanent markers.