Stars

One evening around the time I had cancer, I lingered outside as dusk fell ,and the first stars came into view. I thought of what my amateur astronomer Father would say.

“That’s not a star, that’s Jupiter.”

They all looked like stars to me. I decided to count them. First, there was one, two, then I counted to fifteen, and very soon, there were more than I could possibly number. A scripture I’d read days before came to mind, “Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.” Isaiah 40:26

Missing. I’d known recently what it was like at times to feel I was missing--lost in the universe--alone on a road of pain-wondering if God still had my address. The best scientists can only estimate there are maybe something like ten to the twenty-second power of stars in the universe. It’d take a lot of zeroes to write that number out, and yet God was reminding me the stars that are too numerous for mortals to count, He called each by name. He had not lost one of them, and He had not lost me no matter how I felt.

There’s a childlike but powerful poem whose source is now long forgotten: “Feelings come and feelings go, they can be deceiving. My hope is in the word of God, none else is worth believing.”

God’s Word is true, and I’m thankful He’s hung the stars in the heavens to be a constant reminder of his greatness and of his love for you and me.