Stepping out of the Traffic

These words from Psalm 46 have come before me several times in the last few days. “Be still and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Eugene Peterson in The Message translates it this way, “Step out of the traffic! Take a long loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything.”

“Be still?” Easy to say--hard to do.

“Step out of the traffic?” Don’t we just usually go with the flow? I know that’s often my default setting.

But, or maybe I should say BUT, God says, “Be still and know that I am God.”

I’ve had the experience that when I’ve failed to heed his instruction on this, He’s allowed things to happen that facilitated my stillness--for my greater good. When I do quiet before him in meditation and adoration, I more fully experience God’s presence and peace.

With the upcoming elections, I find myself confounded as to how to cast my vote in one important race. God says “…take a long loving look at me…above politics…” When I wonder if what I write makes a difference, God says “…I will be exalted in the earth…” When seemingly irresolvable problems present themselves or questions about my health surface again, and a “But God…” is almost on my lips, “God says, take a look at me “…above everything…”

The words of Katharina von Schlegel as penned in 1752: “…Be still, my soul; your best, your heavenly friend through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.”

My heavenly friend calls me, calls you to stillness before Him.