Lilies to You


My husband, Jerry, did well for Valentine’s Day.

He selected these rubrum lilies for me, and they’re still looking fabulous. Later, I have designs to plant the bulbs in a Lucy-proof location (definitely the front yard). My South-Georgia bred husband would say about the lilies, “They smell like gals goin’ to meetin’.”

I’m not sure what “gals” he’s referring to or what their meeting destination could be. I guess I’ve thought it refers to women dressed to go to church or meeting with God. In any event, I’ve learned over the years that when he uses this phrase, it means someone is wearing a noticeable perfume. The lilies are that way. Their fragrance is compelling.

The lilies make me think of 2 Corinthians 2:15, “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.” Strong’s Concordance defines the Greek word used here for aroma as “sweet savour (smell)” as opposed to a similar word, which simply means odor.

As I live my life, I don’t want to leave any old smell behind, but I want to exude the sweet scent of Christ for those who are desperate for his redemptive message. My prayer is that fragrance would also be compelling, that just one whiff of Jesus in me would draw others to the life with Christ.

It’s a high ambition. How, you might ask, does anyone do that? I think of a quote by author James Scott Bell. He says, “Seek to stand hour by hour in the conscious presence of God.”

If we’re seeking to stand in God’s presence, others will know. They’ll be able to smell it.

So, in any “meetin’” this gal is going to, I want folks to know by my scent, I’m going there with God.

Dear readers, may his fragrance permeate each of your lives today.