Graduating

We’re in the home stretch.


The senior just graduated.


The husband with only eight more radiation treatments.

The incredible high tech environs of proton radiation
I’m kind of exhausted myself, and I’m not even the one on the receiving end of two hundred rads drilling my body everyday Monday through Friday. Jerry’s beginning to feel the cumulative effect of the treatment, but still pushing forward.

Because the treatment process is taking place in another state, by the time we’re finished, we will have driven over 7,000 miles across a nine-week period. And that at almost four dollars a gallon for gas. We’re thankful for God’s often-amazing provision.

One of our favorite Oswald Chambers quotes is “God does not give us overcoming life; He gives us life as we overcome.”

In many ways, it seems my daughter is not the only one graduating around here. In two weeks my husband will finish this treatment regiment, and we're praying that afterward he'll receive a certificate for a clean bill of health. And me, well, I'm getting a diploma, out of all this, too. I’ve found I’m going to some new level of trust, to another measure of his grace, to an increase in faith. I’ve found we don’t get what we need as we’re sitting on the patio in the sunshine (although it does have its benefits). We get the power to persevere as we’re in the thick of things.

I’m looking forward to the next chapter, but I’m also thankful for the sweet things God is doing right now through these challenges. I'm grateful for the life he's imparting to us and through us. We may never know on this earth all that God has accomplished through this time, but we trust He is ever at work. And really the only diploma that really matters is the one we get from him which we hope will say, "Well done."

“…but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love in to our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has give us” (Romans 5:3-5).