On the Set of A Season of Miracles, and another Real Adventure, this time in Nashville


After a few days on the set of A Season of Miracles, as a screenwriter, I have a new appreciation for the work it takes to make a movie. I knew it involved long days, and repeated takes. But additionally, this cast spends grueling hours in the hot sun shooting baseball scenes and also in cramped indoor circumstances, often without air conditioning. The day starts around six-thirty in the morning and doesn't end for another twelve hours.

Filming a Baseball Scene

Producer Dave Moody watching scenes

Screenwriter and Actor, Rusty Whitener observing a scene

Despite this, the amazing Season of Miracles cast continues to capture the beauty of Rusty Whitener’s wonderful script. And they do it with smiles, laughter, and joy. I believe Producer Dave Moody establishes the tone of the set through his encouragement and positive reinforcement, which keeps everyone moving forward. Before each day's work begins, he gathers the cast and crew for prayer.

I learned a lot about filmmaking from my days on the set. At one point Rusty asked me if I was bored, because the process involves a lot of hurry up and wait. My response to him is that I was too ignorant to be bored. I carried away a long list of insights, which will help me in my own work.

Some of you may remember a post here called A Real Swamp Adventure. Well, I had another one of those, only not. This one involved having a flat tire during Nashville’s rush hour traffic. And my traveling companion?

Lovely actor Nancy Stafford (St. Elsewhere, Matlock, and so many guest appearances across the years, most recently in The Mentalist).

Mercy! All I can say is I’m glad I’d renewed my membership in a roadside assistance company two days before, and I’m glad I’d known Nancy for several years prior to our unfortunate flat. Always gracious, she was a real trooper and we spent the forty-five minutes waiting for tire repair by picking up on a prior conversation about common interests.

We both shared our belief that God’s providence is over all, even the flat tire, and that God would use it in some way. Let me add here, the tire that went flat was brand new--just put on a few weeks back.

On the long trip home from Nashville last night, I scrolled across the radio dial and caught a message by Dr. David Cooper of the Mt. Paran Church in Atlanta. We knew David when he first started ministry, and I hadn’t heard him speak in many years.

His message?

It was about how trouble is no respecter of persons, how God doesn’t waste any of our trials. As embarrassed as I was over the incident with the tire, I believe God was reinforcing the truth He was in it.

“…but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope” (Romans 5:3-4).

A Season of Miracles will continue production through early June. Please remember the cast and crew in your prayers as they create this awe-inspiring story of God’s grace.


Dave and Josh Moody discuss a scene



This adorable dog plays Sawdust in the movie.


Baseball team gathers around Rafer, played by Grayson Russell (Diary of a Wimpy Kid), and Andrew Wilson Williams (We are Marshall) who plays Zack.

 With sweet Nancy Stafford.