Blog stats, Lucy, and paying attention


Here at the halfway point, I have to admit that at times, I’ve questioned the wisdom in posting everyday in October. It's a lot of time and work and I knew at the outset that it wouldn’t necessarily boost my readership. And it hasn’t. If anything, it’s diluted it because people are busy, and they’re only going to come here once or twice a week. I know, because I receive emails from bloggers who post every day, and I don’t read them daily. I usually just read a weeks’ worth at a time. So, my reasons for doing this had nothing to do with my blog stats.

There has been an interesting benefit for me, though.

We have a friend who often used to say, “We need to pay attention.” I suppose he gets that from Paul’s admonishment to the Hebrews, “We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away” (Hebrews 2:1).

Posting everyday has made me pay attention. I’m constantly on the prowl for ideas, and praying that God would show me spiritual truths in everyday circumstances. I’m praying that when I read the Word, God would lift out a truth I might share. Of course, I don’t want to read or listen just to write a blog post. I want to hear so that my life will be changed. I’m listening with my ears perked much as our lab Lucy does when she thinks she hears the Big Guy pull in the driveway after he’s been on a trip. (If you're wondering how I got her to perk her ears for the picture, I have this Birdscapes book that sounds like an aviary, and every time she hears it, her little ears go up. I digress.)
 

 
Blogging everyday has helped me pay attention. This has been a challenge, but doing so is helping me find fresh strength.

Hope you’re finding it, too.