If there's only one


My friend, Guidepost writer, Julie Garmon, started a recent blog post with, “Sometimes I’m drawn to the most insignificant things.”

Ah, yes, Julie. The blessing and sometimes plague of all creative types―seeing possibility in the tiniest of things.

So, our friend Kevin, gardener extraordinaire, comes up to me on Sunday and says, “I was thinking since my peas were slowing down, I’d pull them up and plant Kale. But as I’m picking peas yesterday, this one solitary honey bee comes along seeking a blossom.”

I’m thinking he doesn’t need to plant Kale quite yet.

Kevin was already there, so he left the peas.

Then he says, “I just felt like I was supposed to tell you about this for some reason.”

After he did, it felt like that bee was in my head buzzing around. Thanks a lot, Kevin.

I’ve written about bees and their importance before when 25,000 of them decided to build a nest in the walls of our home.

Here Kevin has this single bee looking for nectar.

Bees are a keystone species, but what difference could this one make?

Yet William Blake wrote,

To see a World in a grain of sand,

And a Heaven in a wildflower,

Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,

And Eternity in an hour.

It seems to me that all of our lives are wrapped up in these tiny moments of seeming insignificance, which really aren’t insignificant at all.

Mother Teresa saw this when she said, “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

So, today, perhaps we all might leave the pea patch for that bee seeking nectar.

Forsaking what’s expedient for the extravagant benefit of the one.

What does that look like?

It looks like leaving the laundry to read to a child, rescheduling the business lunch to listen to a friend, or maybe being content to use your talents, whatever they are, for the benefit of the small group instead of always seeking the large audience.

Because, really, when that bee comes humming along, don't we want to be ready to respond to God’s call?

“Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way” (Message Colossians3:17).