When you need to know it's the same power


I leave the restaurant where I often write in the mornings frustrated. I didn’t get done what I set out to do. Clouds closed in overhead. Problems I had pushed to the back of my mind assert themselves.  Feeling a little overwhelmed and defeated, I get in the car and the radio comes on.  Jeremy Camp’s, “Same Power” plays. It’s a song that commands you to listen.


I thought he must have written it from Romans 8:11, “And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.


So, later in the day, I turn to this week’s lesson in Breath, a study on the Holy Spirit and our current women’s Bible Study by Beth Moore.

Though Beth does the video lectures, her daughter Melissa Moore writes the workbook. She admits she’s been struggling with a kind of apathy, but God shakes her with a realization of His power.  I read these words, “As ones who are filled with God’s Spirit, we must join God in speaking life and hope over this decaying and despondent world. And we must accept and invite the words of life and hope that are spoken over us by others. Further still, we must speak life and hope over ourselves . . . The Spirit within us we received because God raised Jesus from the dead.”

All of this is enough to shake the frustration and defeat right out of you.

Soon, we will be celebrating Easter and reviewing again the story of Jesus’ resurrection. However, even now, God is gently reminding me that the same power that brought Jesus back to life lives in me by the power of His Holy Spirit.  

Not some diluted version.

Not a facsimile.

Not the good on Sunday, won’t work on Monday power, but the very same grave clothes shedding, stone rolling, cell igniting, soul regenerating power that brought Jesus back from the dead.

So let’s buck up friends, because he’s given us power. And back to Melissa’s words. Yeah, what she said. Let’s be faithful to speak this over ourselves and others.

May your week before Holy week be a power filled one.

New to my Etsy store, Beverly Varnado Art―note cards and fine art prints from an original oil of the state butterfly of Georgia, the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. Click HERE to visit.