If you're looking for something brand-new


“Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history. Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand-new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it?” (Isaiah 43:19-21 The Message).

 
 
For some weeks now, God has been speaking through various means that he is going to do a new thing in my life, yet I don’t know what that new thing might be. In answer to the prophet’s question, I don’t see it. Not yet, anyway.
 
I just shared with church folks in the last few days that when we know God has something for us, we don’t care what it is, because if it’s of God, we want it no matter what. We know we won’t find fulfillment in any other path. It’s as if God allows us to get so weary of the status quo that we are willing to go anywhere with Him.

Then I read in Oswald Chamber’s My Utmost for His Highest yesterday, “Readiness for God means that we are prepared to do the smallest thing or the largest thing―it makes no difference. It means we have no choice in what we want to do, but that whatever God’s plans may be, we are there and ready.”
 
To this I say, I believe Lord, but help my unbelief. It’s easy to lapse into recalling what we hoped God would do and didn’t. We rehearse disappointments. I suppose this would fall into the category of “old history.”
 
God called me to write, and I have tried to be faithful to that call. I’ve sent out projects, which I could today find that they’re going forward. Over the past year, I’ve also produced a fair amount of paintings. So if I had to put my finger on a facet of my life I think God might be stirring in, I’d say it was writing or painting, because that’s where He’s been leading, and He might be taking me to a totally new place in these endeavors.

But, the new thing could be something else entirely. I just don’t know.

I do believe that in his time, He’ll make His purposes known. Meanwhile, I heed words also spoken by Oswald Chambers; I do the “next thing.” The duty that lies nearest.

As I write today, I wonder whether some of you might be getting or have gotten a “something brand-new” word, as well. If so, I’d love to hear from you as we traverse this path together.

“There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!(Romans 5:3-5 The Message).

Now offering free shipping at my Etsy store through May. Consider a fine art print or notecards for graduation gifts or Mother's Day. The store is HERE.