Saved from or saved in


A few days ago, I glanced at a green traffic light as I moved through an intersection. Just as I entered the cross roads, a black pick-up pulled right in front of me.
 
It seemed a black wall of disaster.

 
I stomped the breaks, tried to turn the car to navigate around the front of the truck, but it was useless.

 
The black wall rushed at me.

 
My tires screamed as they slid across the pavement and the scent of burning rubber assaulted my olfactory sense. I braced for impact.

 
Then . . .

 
The car stopped.

 
I leaned forward. My car was inches from the truck.

 
Shaking, I tried to take deep breaths. Yet, I marveled at how close I’d come.

 
I still had a ways to go before I reached home, but during that time, I reflected on all from which God saved me.

 
Later when I related the story to Jerry, he said an angel grabbed my back bumper to stop me.

 
I believe it.

 
Psalm 34:7 reads, “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.”

 
I had a very real sense of God’s deliverance and a memory of a mealtime prayer that day which contained a request for God’s protection in travel.

 
Metaphorically, our lives can be filled with something like that black wall I experienced when the truck pulled in front of me. It seems calamity is rushing at us at lightning speed. Yet, God gets the last word.

 
I’m well aware God does not always rescue us from something, but rescues us in it. If we belong to Him, he uses all that touches us for our good and His glory. Years ago, when I was diagnosed with cancer, God warned me in advance that I faced a big challenge, yet, he chose not to save me from it, but to work through it. That's what He did.

 
Every day we live gives us more reasons to praise Him for what He has done and is doing, no matter what we face.

 
So thankful, friends, to be with you today.