31 days if you're stuck and weary


When I saw the Nester’s invitation to blog for 31 days in October, I thought, “No way.” I’ve done this before. I blogged for 31 days in 2010 for breast cancer awareness month. I once wrote a 50,000-word novel in one month when I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). I didn’t even want to think about it, because I know the momentum it takes to accomplish this in addition to other writing that I do.

 I was tired, didn’t want to do it, and didn’t want to hear anymore about it.

But here’s the thing. I’m stuck—in so many ways. It seems I’ve been on dead center for so long, and I’m ready to move ahead. Our church has declared a month of prayer and fasting in October. Prayer and fasting always move us toward God.

Then I read these words a few days ago, “The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed” (Isaiah 50:4).

And I felt the Lord himself was asking me to provide a word for others who might be stuck and weary, too, who are flagging on the journey.

Where would I find the energy for this?
 

The Message translates the words above this way, “So I know how to encourage tired people. He wakes me up in the morning, wakes me up, opens my ears to listen as one ready to take orders.”

So, for all the days of October I’m getting up a bit earlier, maybe while you are still asleep, and listening for a word from the Lord. I find encouragement in these words, as well:

“He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.
    And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
    gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
    young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
    They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired,
    they walk and don’t lag behind” (The Message Isaiah 40:28-31).

As I spend extra time in the presence of God, I’m looking for fresh strength and to get unstuck. If you’re in a similar place, join me on October first as I join 1500 others who are blogging every day in October.

If you’re coming here by Facebook, I’ll only be posting twice a week so as not to annoy my Facebook friends any more than I already do. Please sign up to follow by email, if you don’t want to miss a post.