When the unexpected gifts help

I am happy to be back in this space but will only be posting bi-monthly for the time being. Still a lot going on. The project Jerry and I have been working on is nearing completion, and it looks like we are going to survive the process (laughing here). Hopefully it will be out sometime in September.

I also have another book in the hangar and am trying to get that one out before Christmas. Here’s hoping.

For better or worse, we’ve had company almost all summer. They dropped in around June 1, and though somewhat reticent in their social interactions, they show no sign of leaving.




For the second year in a row, one of our neighborhood does selected our home as her birthing spot. The twins she bore in early June stayed mostly out of sight unless their mama was with them, but more recently have ventured forth in broad daylight to bask in the sun, give Lucy the old Aussiedor a little excitement (She could never catch one. At this point she can hardly see them), or get a drink from a baby pool I set up in the back yard for their convenience on hot days. The gates are wide open, so this little family could leave at any time, but for now, they have chosen to stick around, which means we make accommodations.

Our lawn folks know where to start mowing to give the fawns a chance to resituate. We check the backyard for clearance before Lucy exits and always look twice before backing from the driveway, because more recently they have taken to lying under the magnolia in the front yard.

Some folks would object to this residency. I know the problems with them being around, so there is no need to point them out, but even my husband who used to be a hunter loves seeing them. When human company comes over, the fawns are real entertainment.

My office in the sunroom gives me a chance to see them regularly, and sometimes when I’m sitting there, the mama comes up to study me a bit more closely.

Last year, after the freak accident that left me with two broken wrists, a mockingbird nest in my line of sight kept me entertained when I could do nothing else. God reminded me of the beauty and wonder in the world, and it took me out of the pity party I was tempted to have.

This summer, among other challenges here, I have had nagging orthopedic issues, some related to what happened last year and some not. But when I come downstairs every morning and see the fawns out there with the sun glistening on their backs, I remember the wonderful gifts God has given us, and it turns my whining into gratitude.

James wrote, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” (James 1:17).

So, every gift, and sometimes especially the unexpected ones are from the One who has our best in mind. It’s a matter of reframing our situation to acknowledge God in the middle of whatever is going on.

If you’re struggling, you may not have twin fawns in your backyard, but I know if you look for the blessings, you will find them, because they are always there.

By the way, we’ve named the fawns Claude and Clarice and have pondered buying them collars (Just joking. I don’t want any more orthopedic issues to work that out!)