Scrubbing Floors and Reaching the World

The last few days, I’ve been pondering the compelling and challenging teaching Rusty Wright presented at the East Metro Atlanta Christian Writers Conference this past weekend. An Amy award winner, Rusty has written for years on a variety of topics in the general and Christian markets. In fact, he mentioned people are still coming to know Christ through articles he wrote decades ago while in college. God has put it on his heart to touch a billion people for Christ in his lifetime and beyond through his writing.


One person reaching a billion people. Wow, that’s a big goal.

But, as I had the opportunity to get to know Rusty over the past weekend, I witnessed his primary goal is to be faithful to God in all he does.

Sometimes, we don’t see in the span of our days all the people our lives touch. God may call us to some obscure place, where we labor a lifetime in anonymity. Later, even after we’re gone, someone arises from that ministry and touches many lives. That’s why, as my husband says, we can’t put the “em-PHA’-sis on the wrong syl-LA’-ble.” The wrong syllable to emphasize in this case is to make our lives about the numbers we reach even in the name of Christ.

The right syllable is to abandon ourselves to Him and be faithful.

Just a few hours ago, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the grout on the bathroom floor. (So much, for the glamorous life of an author, right?) Was I reaching people for Christ? Probably not. Was I serving my family? Yes, I was, and God has called me as a wife and mother to serve them and by doing so, I’m faithful to God. (Don't get the wrong idea, the rest of the people at this house do some serving as well.)

I’ve found though,  if I’m faithful to God, I’m faithful to all others.

However, having said all of this, God did challenge me through Rusty Wright to reach all the people I can in my lifetime for Christ’s sake. He inspired me to consider the possibilities God might bring my way to do just that— and to set goals.

I’m remembering the words of Jesus, “…and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Maybe God would challenge you today, as well. If so, pray, abandon yourself to God and allow Him to speak to your heart about how He might want to use you to reach the world for Him.

You may learn more about Rusty Wright and his work at http://www.rustywright.com/