If it feels you might fly right off and I didn't know


The blog I posted earlier today, “If it feels you might fly right off,” was written before noon today. I had to wait to post it until this evening because of a family visit.

Later, around nine o’clock, someone said, “Have you seen the news?”

I hadn’t.

When we saw what had happened in Moore, Oklahoma this afternoon, we were devastated. I was horrified that someone might think I was playing off this tragedy in my blog using words and phrases like spinning and flying right off. I had no idea. I had only checked the weather for this area to make a short trip and had no idea what was brewing out west.

I wrote this post before the events of today even happened.

However, I know this to be true. Even in the face of horrific events like this where entire elementary schools are leveled, I believe with all my heart that God still holds all things together. I don’t understand how, but I know it's so. If I didn’t believe it, I couldn’t face tomorrow morning. I turn once more to the words I used earlier from Colossians 5. And as my husband so wisely says, these words are not true because they’re in the Bible; they’re in the Bible because they’re true.

“We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment. (Colossians 1:15-17).

Right at this moment, when mothers are crying over their children, and husbands are grieving over wives, and children are mourning over parents, and entire towns are wondering who’s left to pick up the pieces, God still holds everything together. But some of the pieces he holds in eternity, because his reach bridges from this life into the next.

There’s much we can’t see and much we don’t understand.  


We offer prayers for Moore, Oklahoma tonight that God's comforting presence be with all touched by this storm.