The Best

I awoke this morning making a mental list of the activities ahead for the day. With a few of them I was beginning to grow “weary in well doing” even before the day began. Ahead were opportunities to which I knew God had called me, things to which I usually looked forward.

Today not so much.

Then a few lines drifted into my spirit from a song I hadn’t sung in years—“Give of Your Best to the Master.” The line that spoke this morning was, “Throw your soul’s fresh glowing ardor into the battle for truth.” I thought I knew what “ardor” meant but looked it up just in case. Mr. Webster says “great warmth or intensity, as of emotion, passion, or desire.” So, “throw your ‘passion’ into the battle for truth.” God was asking me to be passionate about these things. To move beyond the way I felt--to give my best.

To make sure I got it, God gave me a nugget from My Utmost for His Highest. “The proof that we are rightly related to God is that we do our best whether we feel inspired or not.”

I get it.

I know from experience we often don’t know the consequences of our service for God. We sow the truth, not understanding how far it might go. Only occasionally do we get to see the actual harvest. But, God simply calls us to follow him passionately and asks us, asks me, to give my best.