Finishing Well



I recently had a class with Jerry Jenkins, keynote speaker at a conference I was attending and prolific author of the Left Behind Series. He also owns the Christian Writer’s Guild and has helped many writers achieve their dreams.

Jenkins has also authored an autobiography for Billy Graham entitled Just As I Am, and shared a story at the conference I’ll never forget.

 In his interviews with Graham, with whom he still maintains a close relationship, he asked Graham how he maintained his spiritual disciplines.

Graham responded he did as the Bible instructed--he prayed and searched the scriptures. He told Jenkins he prayed even as he spoke with him. Graham also said when he arose in the morning,he read the Bible for a time, and then would leave the open Bible somewhere he could see it. Then throughout the day, he would return to it and read. Jenkins said, sure enough, he looked over and there on the desk was the open Bible.

As I heard this story, verses floated into my mind:

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105

“Be joyful always; pray continually…”I Thessalonians 5:17

 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom…” Collosians 3:17

 “…Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4.

I loved the wisdom Jenkins shared from Graham’s experience—powerful words from a man who is finishing his life well.

"Pray and search the scriptures..."

Sometimes we try to complicate the Christian life, to add to it our own set of demands. But if we can begin and end each day by praying and searching the scriptures, we may find sustenance for a lifetime.

These are powerful words tfrom Graham that could help us all finish well.