Perseverance and Gina


I recently read the poignant debut novel, Crossing Oceans, from gifted writer Gina Holmes. According to her bio, Gina began her journey more than ten years ago. On the way to publication, she and friend Ane Mulligan (pictured center) began the website Novel Journey in 2005 which was so successful that in 2008, Writer’s Digest named it as one of the 100 top websites for writers. This year, the site again made the list.

I see Gina occasionally at conferences, and I wanted to turn a cartwheel when I found she had a book contract. Gina’s story is one of perseverance, for Crossing Oceans wasn’t her first novel, but her fifth. She also worked for years on Novel Journey with no remuneration except for the satisfaction of knowing she helped others along the way. If anyone has paid her dues, it’s Gina.

Though I’ve signed a contract for a screenplay option, novel number three is now languishing on my computer. I’m reminded of Romans 5:4-5. “And we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us…” Like it or not, the suffering writers experience through the disappointments of innumerable rejections helps galvanize their will enabling them to persevere. This perseverance helps shape the character which births the perennial hope that is sure to follow. I've seen this verse lived out in Gina’s life, and it brings me great encouragement.

To learn more, visit Novel Journey at www.noveljourney.blogspot.com or her website http://www.ginaholmes.com/.