A Story and The Story

I’ve been somewhat off the grid weaving a new story, so the blog posts have been sparse.

When I sit down to write a new fictional story, I step out onto the water of not knowing what will happen on this 70,000-word journey. Fear sits at the edge of the desk and says, “No way can you finish this. You’re going to sink.” By faith, I ignore fear and type the next words. Somehow the next words, and the next. 

Fear says, “You’ll never figure out the plot.” By faith, I ignore fear, and somehow the plot seems to figure out itself. 

It’s a life of faith. Of listening. Of prayer. Of believing that, “I CAN do everything through Him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).

I chart the work, how many words, day after day. I labor hard, but ultimately the story unfolds incrementally in His time. 

So when the heart races and the thought nags, “There’s no way I can do this,” I know he will help me, because I’ve surrendered it all to Him.

If you’re looking for another way to immerse yourself in THE story, I’ve just found a helpful tool, The One Year Chronological Bible. The subtitle reads, “The entire text of the New International Version in 365 daily readings arranged in the order the events actually occurred.”


I love it, though I’m a little behind, because I didn’t discover it until mid-January. From the introduction: “…when you read Psalms 5 and 59 alongside 1 Samuel 18:1-20:42, you will see how David’s faith in the Lord sustained him as King Saul was threatening David’s life.” And, “When you read about King Hezekiah receiving the envoys from Babylon, you will also be able to read Isaiah’s prophecy concerning this event.” 

I’m intrigued by the concept, and look forward to the new ways in which God will use it to teach me about His word and increase my faith.