Celebrating


Had a great time today signing books at Genuine Georgia, in downtown Greensboro at the Southland Jubilee Event.

I’d barely unloaded my books and sat down when I saw Darrell Huckaby striding towards me. Such a great surprise to see him. He was also signing books a ways down the street.



Darrell, a much-loved syndicated columnist, recently returned from M.D. Anderson where he’s receiving medical care for prostate cancer. The cancer has spread and Darrell’s headed towards some experimental treatment at M.D. Anderson to try to beat this nasty disease. Please join me in praying for Darrell that this treatment will work.

He wrote a column before he set off on his journey to Texas mentioning that because of the trip, he was really going to miss his usual spring break trip to Jekyll Island. I sent him a copy of my book, Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees, set on St. Simons Island and told him even if he didn’t feel like reading it on his trip to Texas, he could just look at the cover picture of the marshes taken one island over from Jekyll.  


Today he shared with me a copy of his Southern cookbook, Second Helpings. He couldn’t have given it to a more grateful recipient or anyone who needs it more. I'm desperate for tried and true recipes--ones that don’t have twenty ingredients. It could possibly change my life. Thanks a million, Darrell.

I was especially surprised to see my dear friends Harriet and Vicki today. I loved speaking with them as well as Paul and Elaine, and many other friends old and new.


Many thanks to Cynthia and her wonderful staff at Genuine Georgia. Loved her store filled with art created in studios across the state and showcased in the most wonderful way.


On the way to my car at the end of the day, I ran into this critter going for a stroll. She’s smacking her lips on a piece of my funnel cake that her owner said she might enjoy. He was right. She did. But one bite was all that pig was going to get. That funnel cake was one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten.


The other night my husband asked me to go out to dinner. “We’re celebrating,” he said.

“What are we celebrating?” I asked.

“We’re just celebrating.”

Today was a good day just to celebrate. To rejoice again in breathing out and breathing in. To thank God for the beauty of his creation.  

Eugene Peterson translates Psalm 66:5 this way, “Take a good look at God’s wonders—they’ll take your breath away.”

Oh, yes. If we take the time to think about the smallest bit of matter, the vastness of the universe, or anything in between, we’ll be left breathless.

And I’m just trying to catch mine right now after my wonderful day in Greensboro.