Nests and When Mamas Worry

For a few weeks now, nests have preoccupied my interests.
It started with this sweet gift our granddaughter made for us at Easter.
Then, as I always do this time of year, I checked the bluebird box out front where several blue eggs nestled in pine straw.
In a few days, the naked babies waited for their food.
Bluebirds

Then this blurry picture a week later of down and a few feathers (blurry because Mr. Bluebird was pretty hot at me).

Later, while trimming a prickly shrub that’d gotten out of hand near the mailbox, I saw a nest of cardinal’s eggs. Of course, the trimming quickly ended. I even tried to put back some of what I’d already lopped off.
Cardinal Eggs

When I checked on it the next day, pink nestlings opened their beaks with anticipation.
Just hatched Cardinals

So, I’m cleaning out the studio readying it for use in the months ahead when I notice a sparrow has made a nest in the eaves, entering and exiting through a door we cut for Mama Kitty when she had her brood out there last year.
And those are just the nests I know about in our yard. Who knows what all the finches, wrens, titmice, robins, woodpeckers, and others I see flitting around the back yard are doing around here.

What about all the other backyards in my neighborhood?

We’re simply teeming with feathers.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to keep Belle from terrorizing everybody by keeping her inside as much as possible. Remember we’re talking about a formerly feral feline who used to stalk for a living. It’s been a challenge.

My anxiety rises a bit about protecting all these broods.

But, I know I have to let it go.

I can’t possibly do it.

It’s like staring out at the vastness of the ocean and thinking I have to make sure the tide changes.

It’s not my job.

Only One can handle it.

I have a friend who says that she woke up one morning and was sure she heard God say to her, “You can take the day off today, I’ve got it under control.”

It’s these struggles that help me realize again how big God is and how much I need Him. He alone can survey the vastness of the universe and know when even one bird falls to the ground. He alone knows what our ferocious feline and her kind are up to. He alone never slumbers or sleeps.

Over these nests hovers one who has all in His powerful hands.

And concerning this Mama’s nest, he knows everything that touches those I love. He knows what lurks ready to pounce. For those still getting their wings, he’s right there all the while.

So, this is a good week for Mamas everywhere to realize we can take some time off from our vigilant worry, or better yet, pray and surrender it to God. It can almost feel wrong to trust Him when we're so entrenched in our fretting. But we're only wasting our lives and missing out on the good plans He has for us.


So, here's to a nest full of joy and faith and peace.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29-31).