If you're having one of those days, too



Our day here started with an emergency call to a plumber.

Then after not being able to reach my husband’s favorite bakery by phone for a couple of days, I went down to the shop and found they couldn’t provide a cake in time for his birthday due to their wedding schedule.

I’ve been having email server problems all week, and today when I checked my inbox, over eight thousand emails had downloaded into my box. And twelve thousand more are waiting to download. Really.

Did I mention the dog threw up twice this morning? And not on the new floor we had installed in the den so this kind of clean up would be easy, but on one of the two small rugs in the room.

So, we hoped we might just have to replace a part in our plumbing. But as it turns out, our fixtures were installed about the same time Noah built the Ark.

The plumbers are in there right now banging around in the crawl space, tearing out a wall in the bathroom, and putting in new copper pipe.  Can you say “Ching, Ching?”
New copper plumbing

All this made me think of a piece I never published which I wrote one winter day awhile back during a similar time when the road of a life was challenging and in a far more serious way.

Maybe your day’s not going well, either.  So here it is:

“I sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way to Atlanta on Sunday, a trip I’ve made countless times over the past few months, and one that is growing tiresome.

I scrolled across the radio dial looking for something to break the monotony. For awhile, I listened to a little of the Georgia State Women's basketball game. I don’t know anybody at Georgia State, I just like listening to sports on the radio when I'm alone in the car, doesn’t matter what kind. My husband finds this a mysterious behavior.

From there, I tuned to Alexander Scourby reading Exodus 17-19. The children of Israel were complaining, and Aaron and Hur helped Moses keep his hands high. Love that story, and Scourby reads in such a compelling way, I hated for him to quit. (Listen to another version here at Bible Gateway)

After that was over, I found A Prairie Home Companion just in time to hear Garrison Keillor sing, “The Plumber is the Man.”

Laughed hard. 

The plumber sure encouraged me on a day that was colder in more ways than just the temperature. He, Alexander Scourby, the children of Israel, and the Georgia State Women's basketball team helped me make it to Atlanta and back without falling asleep or rear ending anyone, praise God!”

Beloved speaker and author Barbara Johnson who tragically lost two sons in a nine year period once wrote, "Wherever Jesus is, there’s a party going on. His grace is the yeast that makes hope and joy rise in your heart…Developing my sense of humor and unwrapping grace daily helps me hang in there even when I don’t get the answers I want. With Jesus beside me, I’ve learned to read the funnies of life and leave the rest of the newspaper lie.”
So, today, once more the plumbers are saving us. When they get through, I’m telling them about the song, because they could need a laugh, too. And I might listen to it a few more times myself. I’m going to need something to do while my twelve thousand emails are downloading.  Maybe I’ll invite Alexander Scourby and the children of Israel over and we'll all have a big party.

Still gonna have to wait on that cake, though.

"...Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10).