If you're plain tired


I’ve been plain tired.

I looked up a few synonyms for plain: clearly, palpably, noticeably, visibly, conspicuously, apparently, overtly, transparently, and markedly.

I’ve been all that tired.

In the past thirty days, I’ve finished a 75,000 word manuscript I’ve been researching and writing for the last year, prepared a proposal for it, blogged, edited another author’s manuscript, edited a screenplay, attended a conference, made a half dozen trips out of town, done the housework and laundry and taken a speaker’s class for which I had to prepare.

I recently read about a woman who proposed that in order to simplify our lives, we select seven items to wear from our wardrobe and get rid of the rest.

I may already be headed in that direction, because it’s easier to grab the last thing through the wash and put it on again rather than try to put something else together.

Next week, while others hold down the fort here, I’ll be attending the American Christian Fiction Writers Conference in Dallas.

I’ve been so bone weary, I had a fear I might show up bleary eyed to an editor’s appointment wearing a t-shirt, yoga pants and my raggedy old house slippers.


 
I’ve tried to mark off my to do list everything that doesn’t have to be done in the next week—pushing it forward if possible or just eliminating it, because I need to find nourishment for my soul.

“God doesn’t come and go. God lasts.
He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired,
they walk and don’t lag behind.”

 
If you’re plain tired, too, you might want to join me in seeking his “fresh strength.” Often God brings that refreshment in amazing ways. Today, I had the opportunity to minister alongside my husband in a senior living facility. He preached; I sang and accompanied my nephew on a trumpet solo. And after pouring out, I left feeling energized.
“…whoever refreshes others will be refreshed” (Proverbs 11:25).

God’s economy is different from ours. We think we can only give of our abundance. God often calls us to give when we ourselves feel needy.

It’s much like water turning into wine or one basket feeding five thousand.

Jesus longs to provide nourishment for our souls but often surprises us the way he does it.

“I’m feasting on the manna from a bountiful supply…” a line from an old hymn says. “...for I am dwelling in Beulah land.”

From Isaiah 62:4, “No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married.”

Living in Beulah land means living in the married place with Christ. There, my friends, we find that bountiful supply of manna.

Beulah is where I’m hanging out.
 
May still be wearing those house slippers, though.