When someone lets you down


Someone let this little shepherd down.

Me.

Of course, it wasn’t intentional. He’d practiced and memorized his line perfectly for the play:  “There it is! There’s the star, right over that stable there. This must be where He is.” But as the person cueing him on, I forgot to turn on the microphone--and after all that hard work.

I agonized over the faux pas, made my apology, and in the process, God sent a consoling word to me. In my spirit, I heard these words from the Lord: “I didn’t need a microphone to hear him.” God assured me the little shepherd had the ear of the King of Kings.

When someone lets us down, we often feel passed over. Forgotten. Alone.

But, we have the attention of the Master of the Universe who never overlooks us, forgets us, or nods off.

He’s on the job 24/7.

“My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep” (Psalm 121:2-4).

As I heard concerning our small sheep herder, it’s such a comfort to know God doesn’t need a microphone to hear us, either.

In the middle of the night, when our hearts ache, and the words won’t come, what a blessing to know God even picks up on the unspoken cries of our heart.

This season with all of its joys can also be a time of disappointment. So this Christmas, if someone has let you down, remember God is always present to hear and lift you up.
 
Take it from me and the little shepherd.