If you're looking for a signpost


I spent time this week reviewing verses that have served to guide and encourage me through many storms. God stirred my heart as I meditated on them. Today, I share from the Old Testament. This is by no means an inclusive list—just a few verses of many. And really, I don’t even cover the entire Old Testament. I stop at the Psalms, because those verses would be a post unto themselves. I pray one of the verses here will leap out at you and serve as a signpost in your life today.

It's interesting to note, that at one point I sensed God telling me through scripture to rest, that the battle was his, and at another season, he used a different scripture instructing me to engage more fully in a battle. So important to allow the Holy Spirit to instruct us.

 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between the earth and me. Genesis 9:13


Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say. Exodus 4:12

 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:4

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9


The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27

 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled. Joshua 21:45

 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.” I Samuel 7:12

 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: “The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.” I Kings 17:14

Day after day men came to help David, until he had a great army, like the army of God. . . men who understood the times and knew what Israel should do  . . . . I Chronicles 12:22,32

If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us. 2 Chronicles 20: 9

 
 
Our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you. 2 Chronicles 20:12

He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.2 Chronicles 20:15

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. 2 Chronicles 32:7

After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” Nehemiah 4:14

Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10

Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high.  My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as one pleads for a friend. Job 16:19-21

I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. Job19:25

But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. Job 23:10