If you’re looking for something written especially for you


My neighbor, Betty, gave me an extraordinary gift this year at Christmas. We’ve all seen those little promise boxes, which hold verses of scripture. I first saw one in sixth grade when my teacher, Miss Vera Bagwell sent her box down the aisles of my classroom, and we all took turns reading a verse aloud. Yes, it was a public school, but a few decades ago.

Anyway, Betty gave me a promise box with a bit of a twist--the verses have my name inserted in each one. As I was getting my big book project off the ground, it seemed every card I pulled out of the box seemed to speak directly to me that day. They began to spill out across the windowsill in my kitchen.


“God is able to make all grace abound to you, Beverly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8).
“Do not be anxious about anything, Beverly, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.” (Philippians 4:6).
“Do not become weary in doing good, Beverly, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up” (Galatians 6:9).
“You can do all things, Beverly, through Christ who strengthens you” (Philippians 4:13).
“Humble yourself, Beverly, therefore, under God’s almighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time” (1 Peter 5:6).
The concept of personalized verses was not foreign to me. I’d written verses out over the years with my name or others inserted, but with Betty's gift, I never know what I’m going to pull out of that box in the morning, and so often, the verse that day feels like it was written especially for me.

That’s because it was, and it was written especially for you, too.

The Apostle John wrote, These are written down so you will believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and in the act of believing, have real and eternal life in the way he personally revealed it” (John 20:30-31 The Message).

Paul also writes, “There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us” (2 Timothy 3:16-17 The Message).

God wants us to have a life that is not artificial and temporary, but "real and eternal," the kind only He offers, and He has written the way down for us. As Peterson translates, how amazing that through his Word, God sculpts us for all He has for us. So, when you’re floundering, pick up the Bible and know God is speaking directly to you.

I’ll run the verses above by you again, and this time, you insert your name.

“God is able to make all grace abound to you, ________, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8).
“Do not be anxious about anything, _______, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.” (Philippians 4:6).
“Do not become weary in doing good, _______, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up” (Galatians 6:9).
“You can do all things, ______, through Christ who strengthens you” (Philippians 4:13).
“Humble yourself, _______, therefore, under God’s almighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time” (1 Peter 5:6).
Be blessed, friends.