If you wonder if anyone is watching


“He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber…” Psalm 121:3

A couple of years ago on a Saturday night before I faced a drive of almost eight hundred miles from Texas to Georgia alone, I spoke with my eighty-four year old Dad on the telephone.
A blurry picture of Dallas
 
“I’m not going to church tomorrow,” he said, “in case you need to call.”

Dad had traveled the road I would drive several times, and he wanted to listen for the telephone just in case I needed advice or help. During the eighteen hours on the road the next day, I did call. It was nice to speak with him while driving so many miles by myself.

 His actions gave me insight into the heart of our heavenly Father who in a much greater way makes himself available to us. In fact, the Psalmist tells us that out of God’s watchful care, he “will neither slumber nor sleep.” Because of His great love, God’s availability to us spans twenty-four hours of every day of every week of every year no matter which roads we travel.

These days, the effects of aging are making my dad’s life increasingly difficult. I find comfort in knowing that here at the end of my dad’s long journey, the Father watches over him, too,  every mile of the way.

 One Old Dawg

Remember to check out the latest post from One Old Dawg.