31 Days: Doll Baby


A mother, in an attempt to help her young son adjust to his new status as a big brother on his baby sister's arrival, began calling him “Big Buddy” instead of some affectionate names she’d used before.

After some weeks of this, he turned and said, “Don’t call me that new name.”

“What new name?” the Mom asked.

“Big Buddy.”

“What should I call you?”

The little fellow mused a moment and then said with great sincerity, “Just call me doll baby.”

The term laden with the greatest love, the greatest affection is what the Lord of all creation calls you. God cherishes you.

He calls you doll baby.

Eugene Peterson translates Romans 9:25 this way, “I’ll call nobodies and make them somebodies; I’ll call the unloved and make them beloved.”

Realizing we are God’s beloved, God’s doll baby, helps us find fresh strength for the journey ahead.

Have a Sunday filled with His presence.

Here for other posts in the 31 Days to Fresh Strength series.