31 Days: How I almost set the house on fire and listening


I read the directions on the back of the popcorn: “Set microwave to three minutes on high . . .” So I did, punched start, and zipped to the den, so I wouldn’t miss anymore of the Georgia football game. Moments later, my husband said, “Do I smell burnt popcorn?”

I hadn’t heard the alarm on the microwave, but when I went to check, smoke billowed out of the crevices around the microwave door. When I opened it, I saw burnt paper and ash.


 I coughed so hard, I began to understand what smoke inhalation could do.

“What could’ve happened?” I moaned as I ran around hacking, opening windows, and turning off smoke alarms. My husband, Jerry, joined me in trying to get rid of the gray cloud that had descended on us. He couldn’t help it. He had to ask, “Did you read the directions?”

“Yes, three minutes,” I said defensively.

“Did you read the rest of the directions?”

I picked up a new popcorn bag, “Set microwave to three minutes on high . . ., and listen carefully. Stop microwave when popping beings to slow. Some bags may be done in less than one and one-half minutes. “

Somehow, Jerry managed not to say anything else.

To add to our woes, after we opened all the windows, the next day, Mama Kitty burrowed a hole in one of the screens.
Wilbur inspects the damage.
 Sigh.  

Back to those directions . . . listen carefully.

The Psalmist wrote, “I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people” (Psalm 85:8 NLT)

Just as I almost set the microwave on fire that day because I didn’t listen, our lives can burn down when we don’t listen carefully to God and receive the peace he’s speaking into our hearts.

If we want to find fresh strength, we need to listen carefully. And read the directions, for His word offers us truth that will help us avoid calamity.

Our microwave is now a toasty brown inside. Did I mention it was brand new, only a month old? When I open it, it says, READ THE DIRECTIONS. LISTEN CAREFULLY.

One of the good things that came out of all this is I'm the only person I know who has a microwave that speaks spiritual truth.