31 Days: Tired People, a Gaggle of Geese, and Open Mouths


Just about everybody I know is tired.

They’re tired from care giving (kids or parents), from too many meetings, from financial worries, from crises after family crises, from long hours at work, from no work, from waiting a very long time on a breakthrough, from health challenges, from driving the family shuttle, from doing the same thing day after day. And there’s hardly anyone who isn’t tired of bad news. And war.

The list goes on.

Sometimes, it seems we’re just a whole nation of tired people. I can’t tell you the last time I heard someone say, “I’m full of energy and ready for the next leg of the journey.”

I have a confession to make.

I’m tired, too.

Like me, I know you don’t want to stay that way.

So, here we are seeking God for fresh strength.

I sometimes write at a local restaurant and everyday about mid-morning a gaggle of geese waddle across the front lawn and along a busy highway often stopping traffic.



 
I have no idea where they’ve been since they come from the direction of a busy intersection or where they’re going as there is no pond nearby. Still, there they are.

They could be swishing around in water, foraging through luscious grass, or flying high in the sky, but instead the poor things are just barely surviving, one webbed foot away from disaster.

They need to make a change.

Sometimes we (I), too, settle in a rut and forget there’s so much more. We need to make a change, too.

Because, there’s always more of God.

The Psalmist wrote, “I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it” (Psalm 81:10). This verse was one of George Muller’s life verses, the man who provided for thousands of orphans on faith alone. As God did through Muller, God wants to fill us with the abundance of himself, not just for us, but for others, as well. But we have to open ourselves to Him. If we’re filled with Him, we’ll have all the energy we need for whatever lies before us.

Thanks for joining me on this 31-day journey. Praying that together we’ll find Fresh Strength.