Meet my personal trainer



Yep, it’s Lucy.

Every afternoon about the same time, this dog who rarely speaks, sits in front of me, and barks until I get the leash and put on my tennis shoes. Then we go out, and she drags me around the neighborhood  I take her for a walk.

Our route varies, and I often let her select the path we take. It’s almost always longer than I’d want it to be and uphill no matter which direction we go. Both ways.

But, if you’re looking for fresh strength, you have to get moving.

My friend, Frieda, one of the fittest people I know, says that exercise doesn’t “take energy, it gives energy.”

I’ve noticed, since Lucy became my trainer, that the exercise helps keep stress down, helps me feel calmer, and at the same time helps me feel more energetic.

Walking the neighborhood, is a far cry better than being on a treadmill, too. At least for me.

Lucy gets to sniff out all the good smells, and gets a little muscle tone, too, good for chasing those pesky squirrels.

So, if you’re feeling a little draggy, get yourself a good trainer, or dog as the case may be, and get moving.

“Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart” (I Timothy 4:7 The Message).