Moving beyond safe


The first few words of Genesis are, “In the beginning, God created . . .”

We are created in the image of our creator.

Therefore, we create.

Sometimes, when we find ourselves sagging, when we need fresh strength, it’s because we’ve shelved originality in favor of something more safe and predictable—something routine.

My friend, Dolly, sent me a few quotes from a book she’s reading, one I hope to read soon, Creativity, Inc. Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration  by Ed Catmull:

“Originality is fragile and in its first moments, it is often far from pretty. . . awkward and unformed, vulnerable and incomplete. It needs nurturing in time and patience in order to grow.”

“You'll never stumble upon the unexpected if you stick only to the familiar.”

“Don't make ‘safe choices’ in creativity, even if you must in banking, airplanes.”

Today, friends, make some creative choices that take you beyond the mundane, that move you beyond the predictable.

I made a new blog banner over the weekend. I don’t know if it moves beyond the predictable or not, but it does include that bluebird sketch I did a while back.
 
I love that painting, and having it in the banner reminds me to press into originality.

Former Disney imaginer, McNair Wilson says, “We should put something into the world every day that wasn’t there before.”

Right there with you friends as we attempt something new and different today for God’s glory.