When you need comfort


I know a dear woman who was told a few weeks ago that her sister is dying. Then this week she found out her daughter has had a recurrence of cancer.

Sometimes, we can hardly catch our breath before the next storm blows in.



 

Like everyone else, we have had our share of these circumstances. I was just recovering from Posttraumatic stress when doctors told me I had cancer.  Only a year later, my mother lay dying, when 911 took place. Fast forwarding a bit, while dealing with a very difficult situation, which I still don’t write about, my husband was diagnosed with cancer.
 
It can feel as if we have whiplash from all the jarring.

Pregnant with my first child, I remember folks telling me that labor was hard. But I naively thought, “How hard can it be?” And then I went through twenty-five hours of labor, which included seven hours in transition, most of which was without the benefit of any anesthetic.

Really hard, and I know people with much worse stories.

God knew it could be like that.

Jesus said in John 14, “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

In all the train wrecks and seemingly over the top circumstances of life, God is coming. Coming to walk and talk with you. Coming to listen. Coming to comfort.

The Message says it this way, “I will not leave you orphaned. I’m coming back.”

You are not alone, and you are not without comfort. In his presence, we can face anything.

Often, I’ve placed a chair beside me and imagined that Jesus Himself was sitting beside me as I poured out my heart, because the truth is, He is beside us. He is in us.

So, today, I’d thought about writing another kind of post, but  sometimes, we don't need to hear a whole lot about what to do, or how to deal with something, we just need to be reminded Jesus is present.

Consider clicking here to listen to Meredith Andrew’s wonderful song “You are not alone.”