14 Verses of Hope


How many times in recent weeks have we heard someone say or write, “In addition to the pandemic, we are dealing with . . . “? Insert any number of financial, relational, or health problems. To use a football term, it feels like piling on for so many. Hope sags.
 
I’ve been waking in the a.m. and instead of worrying, which is what my flesh wants to do (I am so very good at it), I’ve been focused on memorizing scripture. Before I get out of bed. Before I read anything else. It helps immensely to begin my day that way. So, toward that end, I offer these verses as possibilities on which to meditate and perhaps commit to memory.
 
I’ll resist the urge to comment on them here, but as I was typing these references into the labels I noticed that I've written previous posts on all but about two of them. So if you want to read more, just scroll down and click on the various scripture references in the labels or if on mobile, click for the web version at the end. As you read these verses, ask the Lord to speak to your heart through his word, which is “alive and active.” Praying our hope will only increase, friends.
 
Photos were taken last week at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia. Love that place.

 
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
Lamentations 3:22-23
“Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known. . .”
Habakkuk 3:2
 
 
“Why my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
Psalm 42:11
 

“But now, this is what the Lord sayshe who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: ‘Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy one of Israel, your Savior . . .’”
 Isaiah 43:1-3



 
“Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?”
Psalm 85:6
“I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.”
Psalm 130:5
 
“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Isaiah 40:30-31

 
 

“Is anything too hard for me?”
Jeremiah 32:27

 
 
“Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”
Luke 18:1
“Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
Romans 5:3-5
 

“For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.”
Romans 8:24-25
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Romans 15:13

 

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20
“May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Faher, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.”
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17