Setting the Table

I follow @tallwoodcountryhouse on Instagram and when I saw her posts a few days ago, they brought me such joy. She was setting a table for Easter and used vintage Desert Rose which belonged to her grandmother. I have vintage Desert Rose, which belonged to my mother.

The posts set me on a mission to use the china for my Easter table. And God willing, we are having an Easter table this year. We haven’t used the dining room for much since last March.

I dug around in the back of a cabinet, found Mom’s china, and put it through the dishwasher. Then, since I couldn’t find the green checked tablecloth used in the Tallwood picture, I just bought a similar fabric to use for a runner. I found the same white chocolate bunnies she used on her table. I always love to use greenery on a table and have used boxwood and ivy in the past. DON’T DO THAT. Both are toxic to humans and animals (the things the Lord has saved me from). This year I’m using a little magnolia.  I have Desert Rose platters, candle sticks, and salt and pepper shakers somewhere in a box I can’t find right now but hope to before Sunday. Mom would be so happy we are using her things.



Here’s a hack for you: If you don’t have the right size tablecloth, often you can put an XL twin sheet under the one you have and make it work on the ends. That’s what I did, because when I start putting leaves in my table, it’s sometimes hard to find the right size cloth without spending a mint. As the Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."

Each year during Holy Week, I think about a few Passover Seders I’ve taken part in. They’re always meaningful, but one thing I remember is there’s an empty chair with a place set for Elijah because He is the guest of honor in each Jewish household. There is an expectation of his coming to announce Messiah.

Well, Messiah Jesus has come, died for us, and on Easter, we celebrate His rising from the dead. We want to make sure we make room for him in our hearts and at our table. Instead of flowers, I put a cross in the center of my table every Easter. If we claim His name, He should always be the guest of honor every time we gather.

I know it’s a busy week for most of you as it is for us, but aren’t we thankful we can be more out and about this year? Oh, how grateful I am for the vaccine and so many who have made it possible that we can do a few normal type things again. 

My dear friends, I wish each of you a very blessed Holy Week and Easter Sunday. And again, as you're setting the table, remember to set a place for Jesus. 

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).