Lucy and Holding On

If you receive One Ringing Bell through email, Blogger has notified me that service will end on July 1. If you’d like to continue with the mail service, for now, I’ll be sending out links via my newsletter service which you may sign up for on my website HERE. Many thanks for reading through the years.

“Go get the paper, Lucy.”

These words are said almost daily at our house. Then the big eighty-pound chocolate Aussiedor flies, as much as a ten year old dog can fly, and fetches the paper—a trick I taught her when she was a puppy.

She trots back to the door, a treat in mind.


If the Lucy video fails to load, you may go HERE. 

What you don’t see in that video is she’s learned that her humans can get distracted and forget to give her the dog biscuit she’s earned, so she holds onto the paper until the very, very last minute to be sure a treat is in the human hand.

Smart girl.

It seems almost every day and from every direction this past week, we’ve received news of serious and difficult situations that require much ongoing prayer. I’ve been reminded of Lucy's holding on and need to take a cue from her so that I, too, hold on and persist in prayer.

In years past, we used to use a phrase in the church called “praying through.” It meant to continue in prayer until we saw God move. This doesn’t mean that we try to manipulate God into getting the answer we want, because so many times, the answer will not be exactly what we had in mind, but it does mean we don’t offer up a quick prayer and go to the next. We are changed through our intercession. I’ll say that again, WE are changed through the prayers we pray for others.

As we're on our knees, transformation occurs because we are emptied of our own desires and allow them to align with what God has in mind.

The Amplified version cites Jesus’s words in Matthew 7:7 this way, “Ask and keep on asking and it will be given to you; seek and keep on seeking and you will find; knock and keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you.”

God reminded me again this week, that some of the most incredible things I’ve seen God do had nothing to do with my own actions, but how He acted when I was able to persist in prayer.

So, my friends, let’s keep holding on in prayer. I know there are some who may be feeling things are sliding off the mountain right now, but God gets the last word. Let’s pray through and see what He will do. 

Here to find books. If you're looking for print, when you reach the page, scroll down to look for other formats.