When you want a place of safety


The wren family that recently put my studio clean out on hold for a while finally got the little ones flapping out the door.

I resumed my decluttering this week, and I roped Jerry into repairing a cat access door so the birds wouldn’t be able to come back.

But when the door was down for repair, the wrens had put the word out in the Wrens Gazette that they’d recently come into possession of an excellent condo, free for the taking. Someone else showed up with a leaf in his mouth ready to nestle in.

There I stood in the open doorway with Mr. Wren and I in a showdown.

I won but barely. He left begrudgingly and we hurried to close up the condo.

I get it. Who could blame him for wanting to put his family high in the rafters out of the rain and wind? I hope he didn’t take it too hard.

We’re all looking for a place of safety and they’re awfully hard to come by in this old world. It’s tempting to think if we could just build our nest in a particular location that we’ll be free from sorrows and pain.

The Psalmist wrote, “Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—a place near your altar” (Psalm 84:3).

Right up near the altar of God is the only place of enduring safety where our hearts can find the consolation and solace that truly lasts no matter what else is happening, because there is no hard times insulation.

And any thing that appears to be so is only a mirage.

We are all going to face difficulties. The difference in how we deal with them has to do with where we’ve made our nest.

I’m embedding myself right at the altar.

There’s plenty of room.

Join me, won't you?


Here to find books. If you're looking for print, when you reach the page, scroll down to look for other formats.