A recent lapse and what the angel said

In recent days, I took the opportunity to open my mouth and insert my entire foot into it. I had misread a situation and made comments I should have kept to myself. And once those words were out, well, there was no way to get them back in.

Sigh.

I’ve written here before that my grandmother often said, “You just have to bite your tongue,” and if I had known when I was younger how much I needed to remember those words, I would have had them tattooed on my forehead.

It helps me that a well-known Bible teacher has written it isn’t a normal day unless she’s had to apologize several times.

It appears I’m having a good many normal days.

I’ve felt so bad about my comments. Yes, I know God forgives me, but I have trouble letting go. I’m assuming I’m not the only one who has a lapse like this, so maybe you face this struggle as well.

On this upcoming third Sunday in Advent, we’ll be lighting the candle of joy. God is reminding me that Jesus came to give us joy despite our failures and blunders. We don’t have to drag them around like a sack of rocks. Yes, there are always consequences to sin, but shame and guilt are not part of that equation when we’ve confessed our sins and asked forgiveness.

The words of Charles Wesley’s Advent Hymn remind us of this:

Come, thou long expected Jesus, born to set thy people free;

From our fears and sins release us, let us find our rest in thee.

Israel’s strength and consolation, hope of all the earth thou art;

Dear desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart.

 Oh, how our hearts do long for the joy that is Jesus. When the glittering tinsel tarnishes, the dazzling lights fizzle, and the tinkling songs start to jangle, we realize this season is really about Jesus coming to deal with all that is undone in us.

 These words the angel spoke to the shepherds are also for all of us who need the freedom from sin, rest from striving, and hope for restoration that only Jesus can bring:

 “But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord’” (Luke 2:10).

 Beverly Varnado is the author of several small town romances from Anaiah Press including her latest, A Season for Everything. All are available at Amazon. A memoir, Faith in the Fashion District,  from Crosslink Publishing  is available wherever books are sold.  Also consider her other books, Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees and Home to Currahee. She also has an Etsy Shop, Beverly Varnado Art. 

To explore the web version of One Ringing Bell, please visit bev-oneringingbell.blogspot.com

Beverly Varnado copyright 2021